We understand the significance of shouldering the cost of apartment living, which is why we offer scholarships for residents who participate in programs that embody our mission and values. This year we are giving away more than $90,000 in scholarships and program funds to 85 residents.
Each program has its own specific character and is geared toward residents with different interests, backgrounds and needs. Click on the icons below to learn about our six scholarship programs. For more info, email email@example.com or fill out the contact form at the bottom of the page.
Want to contribute to our scholarship programs? Donate today!
Community Engagement Opportunities
Do you value community service and enjoy spending time with people who prioritize helping others? Are you looking to establish a connection with your fellow residents at community-building events like Ice Cream Socials and Community Dinners? Our CEO (Community Engagement Opportunities) Program, which focuses on community, service, learning and spiritual exploration, includes a $75/month scholarship for participation in activities like these.
Each activity equates to points. Over the course of each semester, CEO participants are asked to accumulate 250 points. Some additional examples of program activities include:
- Meeting fellow residents over beverages and snacks at Afternoon Tea (25 pts)
- Volunteering at a local food pantry or soup kitchen (25-50 pts)
- Attending a lecture, performance or presentation not required by a class (25-50 pts)
- Taking a class on or practice meditation, prayer, mindfulness, yoga, or tai chi (25-50 pts)
How Can I Apply?
Additional information and examples of program activities can be found here. Fill out the contact form at the bottom of the page to get in touch regarding this program. Please note that this program is full for the 2018-2019 school year.
If you’re new on campus, or just looking to develop close connections with your Pres House neighbors, check out our Scholars Program. This program, geared toward residents on individual leases, includes a $75/month scholarship, and asks that participants attend once-a-month educational, service or social activities. Examples of past activities include:
- Attending a start-of-school dinner to meet fellow program participants
- Participating in a service project in Madison
- Visiting a corn maze in the fall
- Watching a documentary and holding a discussion post-viewing
How Can I Apply?
This program fills quickly! We grant only 14 Scholars Program scholarships per year. Fill out the contact form at the bottom of the page to get in touch regarding this program. Please note that this program is full for the 2018-2019 school year.
You’ve always been a passionate learner. Your interests run wide and deep. You relish studying climate change, the intersection of religion and politics, global economies, the origins of rituals and myths… YOU, my friend, are a perfect candidate for our Micro-Community Program.
This program, which includes a $100/month scholarship, gives residents sharing an apartment the opportunity to explore a theme or topic of their choosing throughout the academic year. In addition to their individual scholarships, Micro-Community participants receive a stipend to support activities and excursions related to their topic of interest.
Below are examples of past micro-community topics or themes:
- Promoting global citizenship through exploration of cross-cultural communication
- Considering controversial social topics in light of ethical, cultural or religious values
- Evaluating the issues of poverty and homelessness in downtown Madison
How Can I Apply?
Additional information and application form here: Micro-Community Program App. Please note that this program is full for the 2018-2019 school year.
FACETS Micro Community
FACETS is a Micro Community at Pres House Apartments dedicated to fostering a deeper respect for and understanding of the diverse ways human gender and sexuality can be lived and expressed. FACETS is an open and inclusive residential opportunity for persons of any and every gender identity and sexual orientation and any national, cultural or racial heritage. FACETS will be housed in a furnished, shared 4 bedroom unit at Pres House Apartments. Participants will sign individual leases for either shared or single rooms; rent includes all utilities. Program participation includes a $100/month rent scholarship, plus funds to support community activities. Click here to learn more!
How Can I Apply?
Individuals who are interested in applying to live in FACETS Micro Community can contact Ginger Morgan (she/her/hers), Director of Residential Community at Pres House Apartments (firstname.lastname@example.org).
“So, what are your plans after college?” asks your well-meaning great aunt (or sister or parent or next door neighbor…). Participating in the Future Focus program will help you explore your answer.
Residents in Future Focus meet throughout the year (5-6 times per semester) to discuss their interests, talents and strengths, and to decide how these will serve them after college. Participants will share how their personal values or faith informs and guides their aspirations and plans for the future.
This program, which is open to any resident and includes a $100/month scholarship, challenges participants to consider the value of paid work compared to the value of work “donated” for the betterment of society (volunteer work). Future Focus participants are also encouraged to discuss personal finances and the relationship between money and values.
How Can I Apply?
Fill out the contact form at the bottom of the page to get in touch regarding this program. Please note that this program is full for the 2018-2019 school year.
Badger Faith and Service Corps
Looking for an internship? This program places participants in a year-long, part-time internship with a local faith-based organization, where they gain practical, hands-on work experience and mentoring. Program participants, who together form the Badger Service Corps cohort, meet regularly with Future Focus program to reflect on their internship experiences and to discuss how their values, strengths, personalities and faith will inform their future plans. Pres House staff facilitate discussion sessions and plan programs and activities for participants that enhance and complement their internship experience.
Internship Opportunities for 2018-19
Residential Fellow: Pres House Apartments (description)
Submit resume & cover letter to email@example.com
International Outreach Intern: Christ Presbyterian Church
Speakers Bureau Intern: Wisconsin Faith Voices for Justice
(other opportunities may be added…)
10/1/17: leasing opens for the 2018-19 academic year
11/1/17: review of internship applications for the 2018-19 academic year begins
**Positions filled on rolling basis**
8/16/18: Pres House Apartment move-in day
Early September, 2018: Badger Service Corps residents begin internships
How Can I Apply?
Send resume and cover letter with information about your interest to Director of Residential Community
Next Step Sober Living
What is a sober living community?
A sober living community at Pres House Apartments is made up of individuals who:
- Actively commit to their own recovery from addiction to alcohol and/or other drugs
- Maintain their own recovery program (eg: attend a 12-step group, counseling, or other recovery activities)
- Agree to maintain an alcohol and drug-free environment in the apartment
- Are willing to offer support to others on the same path
- Sign an individual, 12-month lease with Pres House Apartments and sign the Next Step Agreement
- Participate in Pres House Apartment community activities (both Next Step-specific activities and building-wide events)
- Remain in good academic standing and/or gainfully employed
Participants in Next Step are eligible to receive a rent scholarship that reduces rent by 20% per month. Next Step program also organizes activities that support the program values; examples include attending sporting events, organizing recreational outings, or participating in community service opportunities.
Take the Next Step:
- Fill out the contact form at the bottom of the page to get in touch regarding this program
- Meet with the Director of Residential Community, to discuss program requirements
- Set up a tour of Pres House Apartments with the Leasing Manager (mention your interest in Next Step)
- Fill out the Next Step application; if admitted, sign the Next Step Agreement
- Sign an individual lease within 14 days of being accepted into the program (you will share a 4 or 5 bedroom apartment with other Next Step residents)
*Please note that Pres House Apartments is not a substance-free facility. Students new to recovery should consider a transitional living in a program such as Aaron’s House or Grace House prior to applying to Next Step at Pres House Apartments.