Pres House Apartments is proud to offer a sober living unit for students in recovery from alcohol and/or other drug dependence…
What is a sober living community?
A sober living community is made up of individuals
- actively committed to their own recovery from addiction to alcohol and/or other drugs,
- maintaining a sober living environment, and
- who are willing to offer support to others on the same path.
Students live together in an apartment and develop personal relationships based on friendship, sobriety and their college experiences.
Students must be prepared to:
- Commit to their recovery as evidenced by regular attendance at 12 step groups and/or individual or group counseling
- Agree to maintain an alcohol and drug free environment in the apartment
- Refrain from drug or alcohol use
- Sign an individual 12 month lease with ph Apartments and sign the Next Step Agreement
- Participate in community activities (both for Next Step and broader building events)
- Remain in good academic standing
Some of the unique benefits of Next Step @ ph Apartments:
- ph Apartments are centrally located on the UW campus, within walking distance to Memorial Union, Memorial library, University Health Services, Lake Mendota and downtown.
- ph Apartments encourage the following values among all residents: Academic Success, Personal Responsibility, Community and Spiritual Exploration
- Students in Next Step receive support from the Director of Residential Community as they develop life skills, to encourage academic progress, and explore their life goals.
- Next Step receives funds from Pres House to organize activities such as attendance at sporting events, recreational outings, community service opportunities, and other events that support the program values.
- Participants are eligible to receive rent scholarship from Pres House
LIVING AT NEXT STEP @ ph Apts
sober living apartment
4 available single rooms
Kitchen in each apartment
Laundry facilities and lounges on each floor
Exercise Equipment on 7th floor
Support from and access to professional staff dedicated to your success
TAKING THE NEXT STEP:
- Meet the Director of Residential Community
- Discuss the requirements of the program
- Ask yourself if Next Step is right for you*
- Fill out an application for Next Step
- Tour ph Apartments
- Get information about leasing here
- Tell the Leasing Manager you’re interested in Next Step
- If admitted, sign Next Step Agreement
- Sign an individual lease within 14 days of being accepted in the program
*Pres House Apartments is not a substance free facility. Students new to recovery should consider transitional living in a program such as Aaron’s House or Connect House prior to applying to Next Step @ ph Apartments.
Living at PH has been a great experience for me. I felt that I connected with my neighbors more than I would have living elsewhere on campus. The PH Scholars program has given me a home within home experience and has allowed me to connect even more with the individuals I live with.
Living in PH Apartments has been a great experience. The location, management and amenities here at PH Apartments are the best value in town for college students!
The PH Apartment Scholars Program offered me a way to connect with students I live with as an upper classman as well as connect with other people who want to be active in the community around us. Being the leader of the Scholars Program has given me opportunities to be creative with leadership. Also it’s provided a different perspective on what collaboration can look like; that people getting financial benefits can still be engaged with their hearts and minds.
Before I came to UW there was a guy in Madison who owned a house. He used to always rent out to vets, so they could live together and have a place that was theirs. It seemed like everybody knew about it, whether you lived there or not. When he died that property got sold, I guess. I’d love to have people know there is a place where vets can live together and get support. That’s why I decided to live here and help start this program.
Being in a Microcommunity is a great way to meet other people in PH Apartments. I really like how it is student-led because it gives us an opportunity to explore and discuss topics we are all interested in.
The Food for Thought micro-community has given me the opportunity to make connections with people I normally would not have. It has also made me aware of the community around us and how we can help make it a better place while making friends and having fun!!! From this micro-community specifically, I have learned so much about the importance of knowing where your food comes from and how to be a smart eater.
The apartments have given me a place I can settle in comfortably. I’ve lived here for years, and would love to stay.
I’ve talked to guys who were living in a small studio apartment, sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag. I tell them, ‘Just because you slept on a dirt floor in the service doesn’t mean you have to live like that now.’
The PH Apartments Microcommunity program has allowed me to expand upon my leadership and communication skills in a topic I am passionate about! This has been a tremendous opportunity for me and the rest of my group!
I would say it is totally worth living in PH Apartments: quality apartments, great community, best customer service ever. I complain about something today and it is fixed by tomorrow. This is probably one of the best apartments I’ve ever lived in. The recently started drop-in dinners are just awesome. I can go on but overall 10 on 10!